Monday, March 29, 2010

Friendship quilt

I haven't been able to do much knitting or spinning lately with the extra freelance work I've picked up so not much to write about. Over the weekend I did get to spend some time with my mother & Bailey at a quilt show in Stover, Mo. While I was outside entertaining a child who is crazy about slides my mother was busy inside looking for fabric for a difficult task that she and my oldest sister have now started. While cleaning the old trailer at my grandmother's place my uncle found some old quilt blocks that someone(s) had started but not finished. Unfortunately something started eating at them and needless to say most of the blocks had a lot of damage to them but there were a few that looked great.


The pattern piece is called a "Friendship Quilt" and the big plus sign in the middle is left blank for hand embroidery work to be added later. Now my mother wasn't sure who actually worked on this piece, if it was a group of women or just a hand few but every block was hand sewn and the fabric used was quite old. The pieces that were damage and in need of repair my mother and sister ripped out what torn and went to fixing the block with fabric from other blocks that couldn't be saved or using new fabric in it's place.

They have managed to mend two blocks so far and are hoping to have this quilt finished by Homecoming in October for everyone to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment